September 17, 2014
Watcher's Council submissions
- The Noisy Room – Cruz: Those Who Hate Israel, Also Hate America
- The Independent Sentinel – Anti-Americanis, Marxism, Porn, Pedophilia Now Available in the Classroom
- VA Right! - New Music Video – American Freedom Fighter
- Rhymes With Right – First Amendment Dodges A Bullet
- Joshuapundit-Kerry: US Must Help Push ‘Real Islam’
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Boots On The Ground
- The Glittering Eye -Returning Home
- The Colossus of Rhodey – Pro-Israel Students Arrested at Ohio University for Standing Up to BDS-ers
- Nice Deb – Obama Administration Denies Threatening Journalist’s Families With Prosecution,
- The Razor – Why I Think Bombing ISIS Is a Bad Idea
- The Right Planet – What The United Nations Doesn’t Want You To Know
- Simply Jews – Russian genocide and the reasons thereof
- Bookworm Room – What passes for theater and theater reviews amongst New York’s self-styled finest
- Ask Marion – Politics and Religion… Lost Subjects in America
- The MidKnight Review – Here is a perfect example illustrating why politics and war do not mix.
- Blazing Cat Fur – Discontent fuels election gains for European fringe parties
- The Political Commentator – Dr. Evil, Darth Vader and Hannibal Lecter joining the coalition to defeat ISIS…
- The Pirate’s Cove – NC Sea Rise Is Under 7 Inches Per Century
And the non-Council nominations are here!
Must see of the day
This is interesting. It's an interactive map of the players in the Middle East and who is aligned with whom.
Some of this I knew, some of it, not so much.
September 16, 2014
Pro-Israel Students Arrested at Ohio University for Standing Up to BDS-ers
It began a week ago when Ohio University Student Senate President Megan Marzec took advantage of the then-popular ALS "ice bucket challenge" to ... bash Israel.
In a video she made, instead of ice/water, Marzec uses a red liquid to symbolize the shed "blood" of Palestinians for which Israel is supposedly responsible, all the while muttering about the "genocide in Gaza" and "occupation of Palestine":
Marzec goes on:
“I’m urging you and OU (Ohio University) to divest and cut all ties to academic and other Israeli institutions and businesses.”
“This bucket of blood symbolizes the thousands of displaced and murdered Palestinians- atrocities which OU is directly complacent in through cultural and economic ties with the Israeli state,” she explained.
Ironically, Israel has been at the forefront of developing treatments for ALS.
Despite the rest of the Student Senate not taking kindly to Marzec's stunt, things went to the "next level" this past Wednesday.
At a meeting of the Student Senate that evening, pro-Israel students, the so-called "Bobcats for Israel," spoke out in favor of the embattled nation and against Senate President Marzec and her "blood bucket" stunt, among other things. For this, the students were arrested and charged with "disturbing a lawful meeting" (a misdemeanor):
Video is available at here.
Professor William Jacobson at Legal Insurrection (to whom the major hat tip goes for this story) received a note from an Ohio U. tipster stating (my emphasis)
I don’t see how Ms. [Becky] Sebo was being unduly disruptive. Some of the context from the livetweeting shows that she was being shouted down by Marzec, and that audience members were attempting to physically assault her.
At any rate, Marzec ordering the arrest of her critics is ironic, because Marzec has been arrested for the same thing. And the crowd’s chanting of “fascist” and “undemocratic” is ironic, given their applause for arresting the Bobcats for Israel.
The student newspaper The Post reports that President Marzec appears to have been the instigator of the whole imbroglio, interrupting the initial "Bobcats" speaker (Sebo) who was criticizing Marzec and her past actions:
Three minutes into Sebo’s speech, Marzec interrupted Sebo, saying that the speech was blocking other students from speaking.
A chant was led by many of the Student Senate members, repeating phrases such as “this meeting is being hijacked by fascists” and “shame on bullies.”
Keep in mind that Sebo was speaking during time allowed for public comments, the "Student Speakout."
After the arrest of Sebo and three of her companions, Marzec "stood on a table" and said "she would 'never apologize for standing up for the people of Palestine.” She also stated "And I will never stand up for fascists. And this body won’t either.”
This, despite her interrupting someone else talking and then shouting her down (Sebo) ... and then having her thrown out of the forum.
Missed irony much?
(Cross-posted at The College Fix.)
Wait for the terrorist chick's final two word answer:
But Israel is "overreacting," yada yada yada ...
Gimme a f***ing break.
September 14, 2014
Blast from the Past (yet so pertinent to today)
"He was lazy, unqualified, never attended any of the faculty meetings.”
Who is this statement referring to?
A) Barack Obama
B) Hillary Clinton
C) John Kerry
D) Joe Biden
If you guessed "A," you win!
From March of 2010:
The highest tenured faculty member at Chicago Law spoke out on Barack Obama saying, “Professors hated him because he was lazy, unqualified, never attended any of the faculty meetings.”
I spent some time with the highest tenured faculty member at Chicago Law a few months back, and he did not have many nice things to say about “Barry.” Obama applied for a position as an adjunct and wasn’t even considered. A few weeks later the law school got a phone call from the Board of Trustees telling them to find him an office, put him on the payroll, and give him a class to teach. The Board told him he didn’t have to be a member of the faculty, but they needed to give him a temporary position. He was never a professor and was hardly an adjunct.
The other professors hated him because he was lazy, unqualified, never attended any of the faculty meetings, and it was clear that the position was nothing more than a political stepping stool. According to my professor friend, he had the lowest intellectual capacity in the building. He also doubted whether he was legitimately an editor on the Harvard Law Review, because if he was, he would be the first and only editor of an Ivy League law review to never be published while in school (publication is or was a requirement).
Either this guy is RACIST, or he's aptly describing the commander-in-chief we all know so well today. I say "well" because the very attributes noted above are precisely what we see today.
But hey, eventually the truth will emerge ... most likely when President Lemon is long out of office: How America -- encouragingly -- wanted to show how far it had evolved by electing a black president ... but as such overlooked each and every defect that demonstrated the man was way over his head.
(h/t to Ace.)
The battiest of the batty
First they said "reasonable people can disagree about whether or not George Bush had prior knowledge of the 9/11 attacks."
Then they wanted all Republicans rounded up and shot due to their preference for deregulation.
Now, the American Petroleum Institute is somehow in cahoots with ISIS/ISIL to doom us all via catastrophic global warming.
This is the Local Gaggle of Moonbat Bloggers here in the First State, folks. Most reasonable people have long since given up trying to talk common sense to them (mainly because they delete such comments virtually immediately) so that their site is now an ultra-left communal coffee clatch where everybody serves up cute little quips and giggle in unison.
(h/t to First Street Journal.)
Watcher's Council winners
- *First place with 3 2/3 votes!– Obama’s Untruth, Inc. submitted by Joshuapundit
- Second place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –The Noisy Room – Cuba Trolls America’s Left for Spies
- Second place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –The Independent Sentinel – Your child’s school might be pushing Zinn’s Marxist view of US history
- Third place with 1 vote –The Razor – It’s Jews All The Way Down
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Right Planet – The Immigration Nightmare
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – VA Right! - Bob McDonnell Guilty on 11 Counts, Maureen Guilty on 9 Counts
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Bookworm Room – Book Review — Bing West’s “One Million Steps : A Marine Platoon at War”
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Glittering Eye -Second Term Foreign Policy
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Nice Deb – Ward Churchill Still Crazy After All These Years (Video)
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote – The Colossus of Rhodey – As a life-long Rams fan, I say this is patently ridiculous
The non-Council winner was Victor Davis Hanson with Obama’s Untruth, Inc.
Full results are here.
September 12, 2014
More on Healthcare.gov Contract
Things are getting interesting now.
A couple of weeks ago I wrote that an analysis of the contract between HHS and CGI was underway. To recap, in late July a DC District Court found for the plaintiffs in the case of Halbig v. Burwell. That decision affirmed that the Affordable Care Act, as written, allows for Premium Tax Credits (subsidies) to be paid out on behalf of those gaining their health insurance ONLY through "state-based exchanges." Since healthcare.gov is not (by definition) a "state-based exchange," no subsidies should be paid for those 36 states that are using the Federal Exchange. The most recent analysis of this topic can be seen here.
The writer of this piece, Hans Bader, is a top lawyer at the CEI, the firm sponsoring the Halbig case. Bader goes on to note that the Scot Vorse analysis of the CGI contract builds on the Jonathan Gruber videos, further supporting Halbig's case against the Federal government. Vorse's work clearly shows that the technical module to implement subsidies for healthcare.gov was not part of the original CGI contract and was clearly added after the IRS wrote a Regulation stating that the Federal Exchange was a State-based exchange. (The only reason that module would not be included is because HHS themselves did not believe subsidies were part of the Federal Exchange.) That IRS regulation is the source of the entire case. Since the ACA clearly defines a state as the 50 US States plus DC, the Federal Exchange does not qualify. So the IRS just re-wrote that section of the ACA, essentially redefining the Federal Exchange as a "state-based exchange."
Bader on behalf of CEI has filed two Freedom of Information Act requests in regards to the CGI contracts. His goal is to reverse engineer the CGI contract to further document its history of not including subsidies, add some names to the audit trail, and possibly request the House Oversight Committee to hold hearings.
As we know, these FOIA requests can take months if not years so the results will most likely not be available before the Halbig case is reheard by the full District Court in the late fall. However, there are two other cases lagging behind, one from Oklahoma and one from Indiana. And what comes out of the FOIA information could prove helpful for them or Halbig as it approaches its time at the Supreme Court.
In addition, next week Marilyn Tavenner from CMS will be in the hot seat during another House Oversight Hearing regarding security issues and healthcare.gov. Maybe someone will be able to slide a question or two in about this subsidy module.
September 11, 2014
We're in the best of hands
Here's Lurch Kerry explaining that "we're not at war with ISIS":
Pressed by a CNN reporter that it sure sounds as if we are at war with the Islamic (wait -- can't say that, either!) nutjobs, Kerry responded “I think that’s the wrong terminology.”
We're in trouble, folks.
Perennial loser Mike Protack loses again
He's run for just about anything you can think of in Delaware and lost; this time he primaried Janet Kilpatrick for a New County Council seat and ... lost. Again.
New at the Watcher's Council
Forum: How Would You Explain The Persistence Of Anti-Semitism?
Watcher's Council submissions
- The Noisy Room – Cuba Trolls America’s Left for Spies
- The Independent Sentinel – Your child’s school might be pushing Zinn’s Marxist view of US history
- The Right Planet – The Immigration Nightmare
- Joshuapundit-Defeating The Islamic State
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Von Kluck’s Turn
- The Glittering Eye -Second Term Foreign Policy
- The Razor – It’s Jews All The Way Down
- VA Right! - Bob McDonnell Guilty on 11 Counts, Maureen Guilty on 9 Counts
- Nice Deb – Ward Churchill Still Crazy After All These Years (Video)
- Bookworm Room – Book Review — Bing West’s “One Million Steps : A Marine Platoon at War”
- The Colossus of Rhodey – As a life-long Rams fan, I say this is patently ridiculous
- Simply Jews – Who said about ISIS: ‘We Don’t Have a Strategy Yet’? Or – on importance of being Earnest.
- Rhymes With Right – A Miracle Occurs — I Agree With Keith Olbermann!
- Ask Marion – Megyn Kelly Takes On Ward Churchill: How Can You Compare 9/11 Victims to Nazis?
- The Political Commentator – Defeating Islamic extremists: Thinking outside of the box for a solution!
- The Pirate’s Cove – When It Comes To Obama’s New Climate Rules, Guess Who Wins The Most?
And the non-Council nominations are here!
Watcher's Council Weasel of the Week
And that would be none other than Barack Obama.
September 09, 2014
We're all gonna die!
According to MC Hawking:
Higgs boson could become unstable at very high energy levels, which would lead to a "catastrophic vacuum decay" causing space and time to collapse and that there would not be any warning to the danger.
Never mind ISIS, nuclear war, ebola, global warming, now we have this to worry about. Thanks Stevie.
September 08, 2014
This is great
A politician is someone who will say anything to get elected. In days gone by, this was not a problem. They could talk out of both sides of their mouth all day long and it never really registered because it was in print and there was always some doubt as to what was really said. Until now.
September 07, 2014
Laugher of the Day
Al Sharpton -- Al Freakin' Sharpton!! -- issues a statement on Atlanta Hawks owner Bruce Levenson. Sharpton "urges" more action from the NBA.
Gag me with a spork.
September 06, 2014
Weasel of the Week winner
As a life-long Rams fan, I say this is patently ridiculous
When the St. Louis Rams drafted Michael Sam -- the first openly gay football player to be selected for an NFL team -- I was like, "Cool -- the Rams are showing they don't care what anyone thinks. They think Sam's got the talent, and they're giving him a shot." (By the way, the Rams were also the first team to break the NFL color barrier back in 1946 ... a year before the much more noted Jackie Robinson did it in baseball.)
Ultimately, Sam was released by the Rams (the team is loaded at his position, and most thought Sam would have a tough time making the team), but has been picked up by the Dallas Cowboys and placed on their practice squad. But ... then comes this ridiculous news:
According to NBC’s Peter King, NFL officials called teams around the league to gauge their interest in signing former Missouri defensive end Michael Sam, the NFL’s first openly gay player, to their practice squads.
“The Rams waived Michael Sam, the first openly gay player trying to make an NFL roster, he was unemployed for two days,” King said. “During that time a league official contacted multiple teams asking if they had evaluated Sam as a probable practice squad player.”
Here we go -- one of the last bastions of pure merit-based employment has been battered by the PC Police. Because, of course, the NFL was worried about the predictable media onslaught had Sam not been picked up by a team.
Best comment of the day: "Every single player who didn’t make the cut should come out as gay."
Watcher's Council winners
- *First place with 3 2/3 votes!– Nice Deb – West Point Report: Obama Watched And Did Nothing As ISIS Threat Grew – Why?
- Second place with 2 2/3 votes – Joshuapundit-It’s Time To Give Abbas What He’s Asking For
- Third place with 2 votes – The Noisy Room – ISIS barbarians At Our Gates
- Fourth place with 1 2/3 votes –The Right Planet – The Growing ISIS Arsenal, Pt. 1
- Fifth place with 1 1/3 votes – VA Right! - Arm Yourselves Against ISIS Because Obama has No Plan and No Clue
- Sixth place with 1 vote – Bookworm Room – Modern Art – rebelling against aesthetics, taste, God, America, and basic drafting standard
- Seventh place with 2/3 votes – The Glittering Eye -Naming Evil
- Eighth place *t* with 1/3 vote –The Colossus of Rhodey – Color the Opposing Team’s Locker Pink and … Risk a Lawsuit?
- Eighth place *t* with 1/3 vote –GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Tannenberg
- Eighth place *t* with 1/3 vote –The Razor – PC Authorities Silence Sex Abuse Victims in the UK
The non-Council winner was Ivy Mike Cafe with #Ferguson – When Assholes Collide.
Full results are here.
September 05, 2014
Must Read Of The Day
This one by Mark Steyn is both grim and dead accurate. His point about how hard won social change was in the Victorian Era is something that I overlooked. One of my nerdier traits is reading Victorian era authors (Poe, Chesterton, A.C. Doyle). If you look at them and how they change over time, they get more grim as the era comes to a close. The idea that 11 year old prostitutes were so common as to be unnoticed is not a world I want to live in. Similarly, the slide off the cliff from tyrants who at least attempted to retain the veneer of a civilized person to the ISIS brand of evil that celebrate the most violent depravities is dire.
I know Steyn tends toward the bleak and sometimes misses the mark, I don't think he does so out of bombast like Coulter who, frankly, is out of ideas other than shrill ridicule. Steyn knows that our current state of western democracy is an aberration in history and is a fragile and precious thing. How we keep it is going to be the question we wrestle with in the very near future.
September 04, 2014
Huffington Post hires 9/11 Truther as national security "reporter"
Well hell, why not? Makes about as much sense as the rest of the garbage they put out.
The Huffington Post's Washington bureau has hired professional football player and 9/11 truther Donte Stallworth as a fellow, covering national security.
Stallworth, a wide receiver in the NFL since 2002, is currently an unsigned free agent and has not played in any games since 2012. He is also a 9/11 truther, and has publicly stated that Osama bin Laden was not responsible for the attacks and that the Pentagon was not hit by a plane.
"NO WAY 9/11 was carried out by 'dying' Bin Laden, 19 men who couldn't fly a damn kite. STILL have NO EVIDENCE Osama was connected, like Iraq," Stallworth tweeted in 2009. Stallworth also doubted tweeted, "Gggrrrrrrrrrrrrr @ ppl who actually believe a plane hit the pentagon on 9/11... hole woulda been ASTRONOMICALLY bigger, God bless lost lives." (Source)
Hilariously, HuffPo Washington bureau chief Ryan Grim said that Stallworth's Truther statements "doesn’t represent how he thinks today," and that he said them five years ago. Except that, Stallworth's last Truther statement took place in November of 2013.
Possibly even more hilarious is how the HuffPo thinks Stallworth is actually qualified to cover national security issues in the first place: "[Stallworth] has a quick mind, an insatiable curiosity and a passion for politics -- the necessary qualities of a great journalist."
Yeah, man. Whatever you say.
September 03, 2014
Watcher's Council submissions
- The Right Planet – The Growing ISIS Arsenal, Pt. 1
- Simply Jews – Boycotting Israeli circumcision rings? No worries.
- The Independent Sentinel – Operation Chokepoint, Operation Communism!
- The Noisy Room – ISIS barbarians At Our Gates
- Joshuapundit-It’s Time To Give Abbas What He’s Asking For
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Tannenberg
- VA Right! - Arm Yourselves Against ISIS Because Obama has No Plan and No Clue
- The Glittering Eye -Naming Evil
- The Colossus of Rhodey – Color the Opposing Team’s Locker Pink and … Risk a Lawsuit?
- Rhymes With Right – How Far May School Administrators And Law Enforcement Go In The Name Of “School Security”?
- The Razor – PC Authorities Silence Sex Abuse Victims in the UK
- Bookworm Room – Modern Art – rebelling against aesthetics, taste, God, America, and basic drafting standard
- Nice Deb – West Point Report: Obama Watched And Did Nothing As ISIS Threat Grew – Why?
- Ask Marion – Gluten, Celiac Disease and the Bigger Picture
- Blazing Cat Fur – Islamic State bootcamp in Turkey along Syrian border
- Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion – How Hamas’ Casualty Figures Became News
- The Pirate’s Cove – Ricky Gervais Makes Common Sense Tweet On Hacked Celeb Nude Photos
And the non-Council nominations are here!